Our Adoption Criteria
You must be at least 21 years old, living independently, and have the financial means to take full responsibility
for the costs associated with pet ownership, including veterinary care, quality food, and pet supplies. If you are living with your parents,
one of them must be listed as a co-applicant.
We prefer that you live in the greater Houston area, but we will consider out-of-area (and out-of-state) applications if you
are unable to find a Dachshund closer to you.
If you live more than 2 hours from Houston, you will need to provide photos of your home and yard (or be able to Skype or FaceTime with us),
and you must be willing to travel to Houston. We do not provide tranport for, or ship, our dogs.
If you live in a house, we prefer that you have a fenced yard.
All companion animals must be spayed/neutered, and current on vaccinations and heartworm preventative.
With few exceptions, we prefer that you not have children younger than six (6) years old living in your home.
Our Adoption Process|
1. You submit an Adoption Application.
2. Our Application Committee will review your Application, and call your vet and your landlord (if applicable).
3. A volunteer will interview you on the phone.
4. A Home Visit will be scheduled to see where your new Dachshund will sleep, eat and play.
5. We all work together to find the right Dachshund for your family. Usually, the dog's Foster Person will bring the dog
you're interested to your home for a "Meet and Greet".
6. When you're ready to adopt, you will sign an Adoption Contract and pay the Adoption Fee.
A submitted application does not guarantee you will be approved to adopt from us.
An approved application does guarantee you will be able to adopt a particular dog. For example, the dog might not be a good match for you, or
he/she may no longer be available by the time you are approved.
Adoptive families must agree to periodic follow-up phone calls following the adoption.
We are committed to our dogs and REQUIRE that they be returned to us if they cannot remain in your home.
Our Adoption Fees are
Submission of your application confirms that you have read and understand our Adoption Criteria and Adoption Process.
$300 for Puppies (under 1 year)
$250 for Young Dogs (1-5 years) minus $25 "Designer Dachsie" discount if mixed breed
$200 for Adult Dogs (6-10 years)
$150 for Seniors (over 10 years)
$75 for "Senior to Senior" (applicant 65+, dog 10+)
50% off one Young/Adult adoption fee when two dogs are adopted within a month apart *
* Discount does not apply to Puppy or Senior adoption fees